St. James Episcopal Church
Titicus and June Road
P. O. Box 459
North Salem, NY 10560

† † †

The Rev. Lucia P. Ballantine

Sunday Services 8:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.

Country Auction
History of St James Episcopal Church

The story of St. James Church is bound up with the founding of this country. In 1731 the original church was started by the people of Salem with the help of the missionaries from the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in England. In a 1751 James Benedict and Timothy Keeler gave a grant of land "for the first minister who would be called and ordained in Salem". In 1761 the first church was erected on Titicus Road on the boarder of the Van Courtlandt Manor. In 1786 St. James Church was incorporated under the laws of New York State, becoming one of the original twelve parishes in the Diocese of New York of the Episcopal Church. In 1810 the cornerstone for the second church building was laid at our present site, and in 1869 our present church building was built.

We welcome you to join us for Sunday worship at 8:30 a.m. or 10:30 a.m. or at any of the events we have throughout the year.

Upcoming events include our 38th Annual Auction on Saturday, August 3rd, and the raffling of a queen-size quilt made by the women of St. James.